[Magdalen] Punxsutawney Phil.

M J _Mike_ Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Fri Feb 2 18:56:23 UTC 2018

>>>Many churches now use plastic candles filled with oil (including our church -- and I don't care for them).  Lots of churches also use paraffin, and I don't care for the smell. Nothing like the smell in a church of beeswax candles!<<<

Once in the last Episcopal parish I was formally affiliated with, either my toddler son, or my wife, or maybe even me (but I doubt it), got a hold of one of those faux candles with oil and held it wrong, and all the oil spilled out on the floor by the altar.

As for beeswax, I believe I still have some beeswax candles from my days of saying mass in my makeshift chapel/study in my apartment (now just study).  I will say this:  they sure burn slower than common (parafin?) candles.  A LOT slower.  When I was assistant to my bishop back in the day (it's been a decade since I left all that behind, gosh), I was always having to replace used up candles.  And they were NOT dripless.  Are beeswax candles dripless?  I sure don't remember anything like a mess on my altar.

M J (Mike) Logsdon.

"Aaugh[.]" -- Charles Brown.
"Avoid dull needles and use a soft cloth." -- E Kovacs.
"...[My mouth is a] shithole..." -- 45th US President.