[Magdalen] Punxsutawney Phil.

Ann Markle ann.markle at aya.yale.edu
Sat Feb 3 03:39:22 UTC 2018

Right at the end, after the committal. I walk out, speaking the canticle,
with the urn (it’s nearly always an urn, though I’ve also done it
processing behind a casket, with the cross leading and the family
following). More effective than a hymn, IMO. Also serves the purpose, even
if there’s not an interment, to get the family out of the church ahead of
everyone else, for either a receiving line or a reception. Of course, music
lovers will prefer a hymn, but I'd prefer the hymn directly after
communion, just before the committal.

--
Ann

The Rev. Ann Markle