[Magdalen] signing the mass

cantor03 at aol.com cantor03 at aol.com
Fri Feb 9 03:52:47 UTC 2018

Back in the day, pre-medicine hopefuls could take either a BA or a BS
undergraduate degree, but the Med School favored the former.  Candidates thus
had to show some knowledge and high school course work (at least)
in Greek or Latin, and the equivalent of 2 years of college French or
German.  I chose the former but ended up doing 3 years, and because
of a scheduling problem with a required course (Embryology) I also
took a year of college Spanish to get the necessary foreign language
requirements for the BA.

I didn't take the German because there were so many Wisconsin
students at that time who would take elementary German for an easy
"A" even though they spoke German at home.

Then, of course, I got my military draft papers and noticed I was being
sent to Germany.  Believe me, no one speaks French in Hessia.

David S.

In a message dated 2/8/2018 5:23:32 PM Eastern Standard Time, mjl at ix.netcom.com writes:

>>>(tricky because that's not always the word order
in German, and you have to wait for the verb at the
end of the sentence)<<<

Sounds Latinate. Which it of course isn't.