[Magdalen] signing the mass

cantor03 at aol.com cantor03 at aol.com
Sat Feb 10 08:40:25 UTC 2018

Another saying attributed to DeGaulle was, "I love Germany.  I love
Germany so much I'd prefer that there be TWO of them."
(Before the unification of Germany);

During the period I lived in Frankfurt/M, DeGaulle was not much
loved by the American Forces there.  A patient at the 97th
General Army Hospital in Frankfurt/M told me the tale of his
being assigned the official closure (1967) of a USA air base in France
(He was an Air Force pilot).  He proceeded to lock all the
buildings after the last Air Force troops had left.  Then he locked
the base gate, walked over to his waiting jet, and took off.  The
base had been in continuous use by USA troops since 1944.

I can picture the French troops literally having to break into the base,
and laboriously picking open all the locks on base, all the while
swearing in French.

David S.