[Magdalen] Instant Pot!

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Mon Jan 1 22:27:29 UTC 2018

It's difficult to say what might have happened, but it is possible that at
some point a Jewish family began passing for German. Many of the surnames
can be alike. The German roots of Ashkenazi Jews are strong. Yiddish is a
language that has many loan words from various exotic sources, but it is at
bottom a low German language.  I sat in a coffee house conversing with a
girl for some time in German. We kept running into words here and there
that we didn't understand, but we kept going. finally we asked each other,
"What language are you speaking?" Turns out she was speaking Yiddish; I was
speaking German.

I often find I understand Yiddish if it's not too complex.

"Hast du gezeyn in gantsen leyben?  They darker 'n us!" -- Mel Brooks

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford