[Magdalen] Ice and Snow along GA & SC

Dorothy Collman dac7792 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 01:06:38 UTC 2018

Isn't memory funny that way?
my facebook post: <January 25, 2016 <https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10205768333462703&set=a.1077050601636.2012402.1087368651&type=3>>
My mother once told me a story from when she was a child, about the 1909 Christmas storm. Her father had one of the few telephones in Chester because he had a business (in the west end on 2nd street). The snow weighted down the wires where phone & electric came into the house, crossed them, and started a fire. The phone began ringing. Her father knew something was wrong, and took the phone off the hook using a piece of wood.
My grandmother was upstairs changing the baby when she noticed a brown spot on the ceiling - it was growing larger. My grandfather and a neighbor dug a path across 2nd St. so my grandmother and the children could get across to stay at the neighbor's house.
The fire company in the next block on 3rd St. couldn't get there because the horse-drawn wagon got stuck trying to turn the corner. The fire company from a mile up 2nd St. got there because it was a straight run down 2nd.
Mother remembers staying at her grandmother's house in Upland while the house was being repaired.

<http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/phillylists/10-Highest-Snowfalls-in-Philadelphia-History.html>

I have pictures on facebook of the storm in February 2010.

Today after the morning service at our church, the rector showed us a video of sleet on his phone that his brother in Charleston SC had sent him.

- - -
Dorothy Collman
Home: DottieAnne at aol.com
List: dac7792 at gmail.com