[Magdalen] Ice and Snow along GA & SC

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 9 10:24:30 UTC 2018

On 09/01/2018 01:41, Ginga Wilder wrote:
> Our young neighbor came over today to ask if John knew where her water
> meter is.  We all looked...it's probably  under some huge azaleas that her
> great grandma planted when she lived in the house.  Her water pipes are
> probably frozen...only a trickle of water in parts of the house.  She was
> calling public works.

30+ years ago when I was living in my first Vicarage down a long unmade
road (which was another story when we got snow several times one winter)
we had a burst upstream of the indoor stop-tap. This meant having to
turn the water off by the main - but where was the tap? The water people
found an old plan (which are not always accurate) to indivate the route
of the main and found the tap under some bricks that had been laid down
to pave the private road in front of another row of houses. Fortunately
they had been able before then to cut through a section of lead pipe and
bend it over to reduce the flow of water.

Roger