[Magdalen] Ice and Snow along GA & SC

Kristin Rollins kristin at verumsolum.com
Tue Jan 9 10:48:38 UTC 2018

Same here in southeast Virginia. All the school systems in this part of the state have canceled school again today. They were last in school Wednesday (when they had an early dismissal to ensure they got home before the snow). The two signs of returning to normal that I see are: yesterday, the area's transit service put buses on the roads for the first time, but only on their extremely limited "Snow Routes" with hourly service. Today, they've announced that they will be running their regular schedule. And today, most city governments in the area appear to be returning to work for the first time since the storm (with liberal leave, probably to deal with both parents of children with no school and those who can't get out of their neighborhoods: the main streets are pretty good, but at least yesterday, residential streets are still as bad as ever.

The airport here recorded temperatures below freezing for 151 consecutive hours, which is almost unheard of here. And somewhere around 9am, we got above freezing. From what I can see from the window, I don't think there's been as much melting yet as I had hoped there would be.

We have not ventured out since we got in from our trip. The city roads were good enough that I would consider it (for short, necessary trips), but our apartment complex has not plowed, and I certainly didn't feel safe leaving until the snow had been reduced some. I know that Heather is very eager to get in to the office (especially because with taking a day off last week and then the travel for work, she has not yet been in to her office in 2018), but…I'm very much "wait and see." We don't have windows on the side of the building where we are parked, so we will probably go down to check, but…I'm less optimistic than she sounded last night.

Kristin

--
  Kristin Rollins
  kristin at verumsolum.com