[Magdalen] Cooking advice - steamed pudding

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Fri Jan 26 00:51:51 UTC 2018

On 25/01/2018 22:23, Rick Mashburn wrote:
> ObAng content -- Spotted Dick!
>
> Now that I have your attention, Alex and I are in a gourmet group. Our next
> dinner is coming up soon and we're in charge of dessert this time around.
> Because this is a group of gay men, I just can't resist cooking Spotted
> Dick with Cream Anglaise.
>
> I've found several recipes online that call for English products such as
> suet and caster sugar. So far as I can tell, those aren't available in
> Texas. Martha Stewart has a good looking recipe that uses butter and
> regular sugar instead.
>
> My questions:
>
> - Will butter and sugar be acceptable substitutes? Or, are suet and caster
> sugar actually available here?

The problem is the suet which I think may be an essential ingredient in
the raising of the steamed pudding. I do not believe that butter would
have the same effect. Suet is the hard fat from around the kidneys and
loins of (usually) a cow so may be obtainable through a butcher. In the
UK it is generally bought processed into convenient form but you can use
the raw product shredded. Vegetarian forms are also available. The first
step should be Google for vegetarian suet which may be more generally
available. Next step would be to find a good neighbourhood butcher and
talk to them. Even with the US distaste of offal there will still be fat
around the kidneys off slaughtered cows and that is what you want.

Roger