[Magdalen] Prayer Book Query

W. Michael Mahoney wmmah at stoneledge.net
Thu Jul 26 16:02:00 UTC 2018

Liturgists of sorts are known to hang out here, so .......

Our parish (Cady's and mine) conducts a forum between our two Sunday
services.  The current, running topic is the BCP.   We have already had a
bit of history and general introduction.  This coming Sunday, Grace
Cangialosi, who is supplying, will talk about possible changes in the BCP.
Then, the following Sunday it will be my turn; my topic is the church
season and calendar.  While preparing, I have encountered some mysteries.

Liturgical Colors - As far as I can tell, only tradition governs what
colors should be used in Episcopal services.  The Romans have strict rules
- - - if you want blue, move to Spain!  But, though I have found some
pretty firm opinions, I have not found evidence of ecclesiastical
authority.  Am I missing something?

Calendar - The BCP lists feast days, saints' days, etc. day-by-day,
month-by-month on pages 19 to 30.  In addition to the basic information
there is printed to the left of the date a repeating sequence of the
letters A-g.  What are these for?  Also, for some selected specific days,
there is an additional number, presumably a calendar date, printed to the
far left.  My guess is that these are Lenten related but am not sure what
is intended.  I have consulted Hatchett's tome on the prayer book on this
to no avail.  Does anybody know something?

Thanks in advance.

Mike M