[Magdalen] Those Who Stay/Depart

Christopher Hart cervus51 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 17:56:17 UTC 2018

The recent discussion of the South Carolina case brings to mind some
circumstances locally. Many of you may recall that I was at one time a
member of the Church of the Good Shepherd in Rosemont, Pennsylvania. Former
rector David Moyer fought a legal battle with the bishop and diocese which
the diocese eventually won. (I had left that parish before all this came to
a head, having seen the writing on the wall many years earlier.)
Moyer eventually led a fairly large contingent of the parish out of the
Episcopal Church with the stated objective of joining the Anglican use
Ordinariate of the Roman Catholic Church. His own hope to be accepted as a
priest in that body was ultimately foiled, but many or most of those who
followed him have AFAIK been received into the RC church and worship at a
functioning Ordinariate parish a few miles away. This seems like a
legitimate choice if that's what their beliefs lead them to, but it
involves a decision to accept an authority which is outside the Anglican
experience. I wonder how those who make that decision mainly in order to
preserve a traditionalist understanding of various issues would react
should the holy mother church eventually become more open minded.
--

Christopher Hart