[Magdalen] Interesting Times

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 18:59:08 UTC 2018

I'm one of the venerable proposal managers who remember marking up proposal
sections on paper with a red pen, attempting to "make it bleed" with
revisions. The markup would be placed back in its manila folder, with
appropriate annotations made on the folder cover sheet, and walked back to
Word Processing, where typists would make the changes on a Wang system that
used eight-inch floppy disks. Upon return, we had to do true proofreading
(making sure the live copy = the dead copy + the red revisions). Graphics
were done on pasteup boards using wax or canned adhesive and then
photocopied into the final document. Our graphic artist cynically called
herself "the slide girl" because she spent most of her time designing
slides and having them produced by a vendor using glass mounts.

The IBM PC was my entry into the corporate work world, as I started out
processing orders for these for our rapidly growing workforce at EDS in
Warren, Mich. Then I got hired into a proposal group, and here I am.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA