[Magdalen] Palm Sunday Blues

cantor03 at aol.com cantor03 at aol.com
Sun Mar 25 15:58:46 UTC 2018

My sympathies for your Palm Sunday sitout.

Oddly for this current storm, the areas just to the north of us are getting intense
snow squalls.  We are not getting anything.

Some Palm Sunday thoughts:

I recall Palm Sunday at my parish in Saint Paul, MN USA, where it was
impossible for the Palm outdoor procession because of the snow drifts.

I recall the Palm Procession out of that church in red vestments, and
the return (after the knocks at the main west door) into the church in
purple vestments.  They even did the color switch-a-rew on the high
altar frontal.

I recall the nearly overwhelming choral demands of the full Palm
Liturgy, and especially the 20 minute Gradual and Tract.  Even
Martin Luther, who loved Gregorian chant pronounced the Gradual
and Tract for Palm Sunday "tedious," and suggested the faithful
could copy these texts to take home for further edification.

And it's Pam Sunday, and not Palllm Sunday!  If ever a word
begged for a silent "l" it is "palm."

David Strang - Who just returned with his palm fronds,   I think they
are actually palmetto fronds and not "feather" palm leaves.