[Magdalen] Maundy Thoughts.

cantor03 at aol.com cantor03 at aol.com
Thu Mar 29 23:44:24 UTC 2018

Agnus Dei qui tollis peccata mundi, miserere nobis
Agnus Dei qui tollis peccata mundi, miserere nobis
Agnus Dei qui tollis peccata mundi, miserere nobis.
(No dona nobis pacem today since the peace is
"given" in the scripture of the day).

My LEM delivered Communion to me today, and I ended
up watching Liturgy at the Basilica in Washington (USA).
I would simply say to all RC congregations in the country
to observe, and to go and do likewise.

The Basilica has simply the best RC choir in the USA,
and they sang the chant beautifully.  There was
deafening pipe organ sound through the Gloria, the
latter accompanied by a tremendous peel from the
high tower bells.  From this point all was unaccompanied.
That will be picked up and duplicated at the Easter Vigil.

The Ordinary was straight out of the Liber Usualis and thus
entirely in Latin.  The Epistle was chanted by the deacon.
There were the 8 servers with tall candles kneeling during
the Canon.  I was very moved by the wooden clackers
for the Elevations.

The Liturgy was very traditional and just a bit retro.  I liked
it overall.

Themes for Maundy Thursday:

There is the (1) Peace; the (2) Love (accompanied by the
complete chant Ubi Caritas followed by the Durufle polyphonic
version, and, of course, (3) the Institution of the Eucharist,
the latter taking place before the biblical Sacrifice of the Mass.

David S.