[Magdalen] Alfie Evans has died

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Thu May 3 04:07:26 UTC 2018

I read of a case where a child was declared brain dead, and yet the parents
did not want to take her off life support. They felt they detected some
signs of response.  An independent person came in and also detected signs
of sentience, and so continued to ask similar questions over and over in
order to see if the responses were a fluke or a valid response to the
questions. He concluded that there was some thought process going on.

The hospital refused to allow her to remain there because they maintain
that she was dead. The parents managed to get another hospital to take her,
and there was a nurse there who was bullied by other staff, like, "How can
you perform procedures on that dead girl?"

The young woman has been stabilized and moved to an apartment. Cue the
questions of who is paying for this, since I don't really care about that
stuff...

The implications for organ harvesting are not lost on the med staff.  The
possibility that they are harvesting organs from a person not yet dead, is
horrifying and virtually unthinkable.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford