[Magdalen] Specs advice?

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Sat May 26 15:13:37 UTC 2018

I'm way overdue for having my eyes examined and new glasses made.

I won't be going to the venerable Granville Vision Center here in the
neighborhood like last time. True, the optometrist, Dr. Ernest Watanabe,
has been doing optometry and running his business for 40+ years, but last
time I had to go back and insist on a retake of the exam and a remake of my
lenses; I don't think he has kept up with technological improvements in his
exam room. And he was a bit short with me for coming back...excuse me for
wanting glasses through which I can see clearly. I have to say the frames
have been great, though, and the total price was far less than for
LensCrafters.

But what I'd love to do is have my exam at LensCrafters, with their good
technology, and then take my prescription somewhere else for a reasonable
deal on good glasses. Has anyone done this? I imagine I'd have to go in
there with an uncompromising attitude to resist the pressure to buy glasses
there. I understand one also needs to measure one's own PD (pupillary
distance) if ordering glasses online, or I'd think they'd do this for me in
any physical store I take the prescription to.

I know with new glasses I will be careful to put them in their case at
night: my current ones developed a tiny ripple in the left lens that took
me a couple of years to figure out: I had likely set my glasses on my
nightstand in such a way that the lens touched, or was too close to, the
base of my IKEA reading lamp, and the hinge just above the base gets very
hot (as does the metal shade around the halogen bulb). Live and learn...

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA