[Magdalen] Toaster

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Tue Oct 2 06:43:17 UTC 2018

On 02/10/2018 04:12, cantor03--- via Magdalen wrote:
> After this recital, I agree with them.  I do not understand why the
> electronic organ companies cannot exactly reproduce the pipe organ
> sound.  The instrument in question is a large, 63 rank, three manual
> instrument by the Allen Company, which is headquartered just down
> the Turnpike at Allentown, Pennsylvania.

Twenty years ago my then parish decommissioned its pipe organ and
installed an electronic one. The original organ was third hand having
been originally built with two different types of action as an emergency
replacement when Norwich Cathedral's organ was damaged/destroyed by
fire. We didn't have much money; the organ needed extensive repairs and
an electronic one (which would not need twice yearly tuning) cost about
the same as the repairs would.

As Scott said using sampled tones is important, as is positioning of the
speakers and balancing for the building. There will be a difference as
the speakers will not vibrate as much air as is blown through pipes but
you can get a good sound with care. There is a particular advantage
where the church is not kept at a stable temperature in that regular
tuning is not needed. Because a lot of the pipes are metal in a
traditional organ they will go out of tune with changes in temperature.

Roger