[Magdalen] Toaster

Simon Kershaw simon at kershaw.org.uk
Thu Oct 4 16:30:54 UTC 2018

Similarly, when, some 6 or 7 years ago, our pipe organ needed major
work, it was decided to replace it with a digital organ. This was almost
entirely at the door of the vicar (then still fairly new in the parish),
who before ordination was his parish's organist, so did know a thing or
two about organs.

What we acquired was a Copeman Hart digital organ. There's a full proper
console with three manuals, umpteen stops, full pedalboard and swell,
etc. As well as a MIDI interface. The area which used to be full of
organ pipes from 1890 to 1920, and subsequently empty apart from
non-functioning facing pipes, is now full of speakers, a whole range of
woofers and tweeters. It's certainly an organ that can make the building
shake, and play those deep bass notes that reverberate through your
body.

My understanding is that Copeman Hart specialize in synthesizing the
sound of each pipe, rather than relying on samples of other organs. The
result sounds pretty good to me, and I've not heard complaints from any
organist who has actually heard it or played on it.

Copeman Hart have subsequently been acquired by Makin, so their current
output may not be as good as ours.

https://www.copemanhart.co.uk/about

simon

--