[Magdalen] My tips to the BBC for today

Simon Kershaw simon at kershaw.org.uk
Sun Oct 28 14:15:38 UTC 2018

Yes. The short form, "Oxford University" is probably more common than saying "the University of Oxford" and similarly for other universities. Probably the latter is used in more formal sentences, and the former more informal. Although in this particular case (and also Cambridge) you’ll get away with just saying "Oxford" in many situations. Just as you might just say "Harvard" or "Yale".

simon

--
Simon Kershaw
simon at kershaw.org.uk