[Magdalen] My tips to the BBC for today

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 15:07:57 UTC 2018

Agreed. And "Michigan" is short for "The University of Michigan,"
especially within the State of Michigan, where it makes more sense than
outside the state. "My daughter is a student at Michigan."

Somehow the short form "Michigan University" for the University of Michigan
(and others similarly named) never caught on over here. Except of course
for universities actually named that way, like Ohio University or Indiana
University, in which case there's never the long form (The University of

On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 9:15 AM Simon Kershaw <simon at kershaw.org.uk> wrote:

> Yes. The short form, "Oxford University" is probably more common than
> saying "the University of Oxford" and similarly for other universities.
> Probably the latter is used in more formal sentences, and the former more
> informal. Although in this particular case (and also Cambridge) you’ll get
> away with just saying "Oxford" in many situations. Just as you might just
> say "Harvard" or "Yale".
> simon
> --
> Simon Kershaw
> simon at kershaw.org.uk
> Saint Ives, Cambridgeshire
> Sent from my iPad
> > On 26 Oct 2018, at 23:02, Scott Knitter <scottknitter at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Yes. In the UK, the forms of university names seem to be interchangeable;
> > we haven't adopted that practice here.

Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA

More information about the Magdalen mailing list