[Magdalen] Aretha Franklin funeral...

Sally Davies sally.davies at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 06:34:49 UTC 2018

Stevie Wonder’s mouth organ solo was, well, a wonder. Really haunting and beautiful.

Ariana Grande sang Natural Woman beautifully in every way but since then social media has exploded over the close up shots of that “Bishop” holding and groping her. What a disgrace...

I loved the honour guard of pink cadillacs!!

Then yesterday, McCain...fascinating introit, not sure what it was? The Amazing Grace with bagpipe counterpoint almost fell apart but very interesting. Choir strong and the music met expectations though I missed the first half on CNN and had to catch up with an online broadcast whose sound quality was poor.

Main interest there of course: the eulogies and reactions to them. Lots of unpacking to do I’m sure.

McCain was a highly literate reader and I appreciated the quotations both simple (“home is the sailor”) and profound (Shakespeare and Hemingway). Since then much twitter discussion on Richard III, Macbeth and King Lear.

Sen Lieberman’s eulogy was perfection from a good friend, balanced and thoughtful and showing sides to McCain that many likely didn’t know. He finished with a depiction of Jerusalem that brought tears to my eyes. His daughter’s eulogy all fire and passion and many resonated with her, including me.

Bush, aside from his lingering obsession with military glory, very sweet and comforting to the family. He was also caught on camera whispering to Michelle O and passing her a sneaky candy which was delightful. Their friendship is adorable and spoke volumes on its own!

Obama on magisterial form completing Bush’s remarks with what seemed at timed more of an obituary for “American greatness”. Dignified but the point, which was clearly McCain’s wish, could not be missed.

When Lieberman told a joke, said to be a McCain favourite, about inmates in a penitentiary I thought Paul Ryan was going to swallow his own teeth.

Trump was in the rough most of the day in more ways than one, with Obama sitting in the seat where a normal President would normally be.

All told we are funeralled out now but I’m interested to hear more about the music from those who heard better recordings than I did

Sally D

Sent from my iPhone