[Magdalen] The Funerals, and all that got stimulated because of them.

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Sun Sep 2 09:13:33 UTC 2018

On 02/09/2018 09:32, M J _Mike_ Logsdon wrote:
> Yes, Aretha's was over the top.  But, for a mere Senator, so was John's.

If he were just a mere Senator that would be true but he was so much more,

> And, did we NEED a Presidential week-long send-off for John McCain?  Certainly not.
>
> But Greatness, is greatness.  And that's why we SOMETIMES (it doesn't happen all the time) need to pretend we have a monarchical royalty.  We need to honor, honorably, those who've been more than the general degredation of social and political reality want to lead us to believe is all we can expect.  Aretha was nothing less than a force for good.  And Sen McCain, whom I just saw in a re-broadcast of his 2002 hosting of Saturday Night Live, ... crimineys!  What a good sport!
>
> I in no way take umbrage with anyone who thinks that the two funerals that took place over the last couple of days were nothing less than a reminder, in our TRAMP era, of what we, as a Country, are meant to take serious.
>
> The passing of Great Ones.  The passing of decency.
>
> May we recover soon, dear God.

A prayer that even this foreigner would echo. As Meghan McCain observed
America does not need to be made great again as it is already great.
Bush and Obama were a reminder of how Presidents should behave. If a
nation is truly great or a person is truly to be esteemed then they
don't need to ram that down people's throats. They are assured in their
own position, they inhabit their own skin. Words and actions from the
present administration are not worthy of a great nation and have sullied
its reputation and influence in the world as integrity and honour have
been tossed aside. McCain's funeral was a reminder of how things should
be. Yes, there was a lot of it but it was dignified and a reminder, as
Obama said, of how true patriotism underlies and rises above party
divisions. It respects the views and personhood of those with whom one
disagrees on policy.

Roger