[Magdalen] Once again we begin again......

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Sun Aug 18 21:46:43 UTC 2019

On 18/08/2019 21:51, Jay Weigel wrote:
> I've come to the conclusion that the search process in TEC is deeply flawed
> becauseI've seen it really seriously screw up, and the reason it screws up
> is that in a number of cases search committees and parishes themselves are
> very dishonest about who they are and what they REALLY want. They say they
> want to grow and thrive, but what they really want to do stay exactly the
> way they are, and "don't you dare try to change us!" Been there, seen that.
During my ministry in the Church of England I have read a lot of parish
profiles of varying quality and degrees of information giving. While I
have generally not known the parish in question I suspect you are right,
Jay, which is why I have observed that there are "lies, damn lies and
parish profiles" to misquote. During his sermon at the installation of
one new incumbent the bishop referred to their profile which said they
wanted growth but not change. He pointed out that was not going to
happen - they needed to change in ordeer to grow.

>> The parish profiling is the most exhausting, in my opinion.
>> I am familiar with clergy placement in two other denominations.  In both
>> theMethodist Church and the RC Church, the bishop decides.  There is
>> noparish soul-searching, and there is no break filled with substitute
>> clergy.The old clergyperson has a farewell one Sunday, and the new
>> clergypersonhas a welcome the next Sunday.  I think the number of
>> successful clergyassignments are just as high with those systems as via TEC
>> way.

When I was first ordained the advice was that if a parish advertised
(with very few exceptions) then it was a place to avoid. Likewise if a
priest advertised that they were looking for a new parish then they
would not be a good hire. The patron, very often the bishop or someone
who asked the bishop for advice, would identify a priest they thought
would be suitable, get them to meet the wardens and provided they did
not object then the appointment would be made. The wardens were
inexperienced at this part of their role and wanted someone and didn't
want to upset the patron by turning the man (always a man in those days)
down as they didn't know when they might get another candidate to look
at. The advantage was that the bishop probably had a more accurate
understanding of the parish and the available clergy so was better
placed to be a matchmaker.

Since then parish profiles have come in, more common advertising and a
greater role for the laity in the selection process - though generally
they still lack experience in identifying what makes a good priest for
their parish. Incumbencies are shorter than they were, having come down
to 7-10 years in most cases, but even so this is not something that a
congregation will do regularly. One thing they have to be warned of is
not to have expectations of any clergy spouse. The Vicarage comes with
the post so that is where they will live but it should not be assumed
that they will necessarily do X, Y and Z in the parish. If they want to
then that is their choice. Likewise the Vicarage itself is where the
incumbent lives but it's their home and use of it for parish functions
is at the priest's discretion.

Roger