[Magdalen] Once again we begin again......

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 00:01:34 UTC 2019

With the typical search process, the search committee can do only so much.
Ideally, if they could spend time interviewing the priest's current
parishioners and especially vestry members, much insight could be gleaned.
But the need for confidentiality with the priest's current parish (which is
common out in the secular job market as well -- you usually don't want your
current employer to know you're applying for jobs in other places) normally
precludes that.

I know many committees travel to the finalists' current parishes to see
them in action there. If that can be done anonymously, great. But so much
can blow the cover: the wrong sort of questions, or seeming nosey-ness in
general, a fixation on finding out about the priest and not seeming to be
interested in joining or visiting again...

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA