[Magdalen] Shopping.

cantor03 at aol.com cantor03 at aol.com
Sun Dec 1 19:39:48 UTC 2019

All the heavy duty shopping this weekend reminds me that I HATE shopping.I might except shopping for special items, such as, say, wood carvings inOberammergau or even a new car, but ordinary shopping for groceriesand clothes is pure torture. I am not fond of online shopping, either.

But I realize I have inherited this shopping aversion from an earlierera.  It was common in my father's era (born 1880) for men not to shop,and to leave all that to women.  There were half a dozen men of that generationwhom I knew well, and NONE of them shopped.  For example I can neverrecall my father or my uncle, two doors down, shopping.  They both allowedtheir wives to shop for personal items such as clothing.

Those men of that generation also tended to be referred to by their initials.My father was CJ, and my uncle VE

I wonder what these men would think of such of such a phenomenon as"Black Friday?

David Strang..