[Magdalen] Saint John Cantius: Attention Scott K.

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 04:03:36 UTC 2019

Hello, David.

Yes, St John Cantius RC parish in Chicago is high church liturgically. They
are staffed by the Canons Regular of St John Cantius, an order dedicated to
"restoring the sacred" and teaching RC priests how to lead the Mass in
traditional ways whether the Ordinary or Extraordinary form. On a Sunday
they do Masses in the modern rite in English and in Latin, and the old
Latin Mass. The parish practically closed some years ago...down to 16
people showing up on a Sunday...but have grown beyond belief. It's
sometimes standing room only for the 12:30 p.m. Latin High Mass.

Scott the Younger (these days, Br. Michael-Francis) has done a whole lot of
photography at SJC...here's a typical photo:
https://churchartphotography.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/religious-art-s-smith-photography-blog-0001-014.jpg

They have rich websites here:
https://www.cantius.org/
https://www.canons-regular.org/
https://sanctamissa.org/

And photos...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/canons-regular/sets/

And here's the chapel with the altarpiece:
https://images.app.goo.gl/kh1oQKj9nsAQaaST9

Every July, on a Saturday morning, for several years, I've gone with Br.
Michael-Francis to that chapel where an SJC priest says a Requiem for his
late mother. One year it was a high Mass at the high altar and I was
thrilled to have a chance to chant the Mass with their Requiem schola. But
usually it's in the chapel, a very quiet low Mass.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA