[Magdalen] Saint John Cantius: Attention Scott K.

cantor03 at aol.com cantor03 at aol.com
Thu Dec 5 21:39:16 UTC 2019

This is primarily directed to Scott Knitter.

I happened on a blurb today about the RC Church of Saint John Cantius,Chicago.  I understand the parish church has undergone restoration to itsoriginal splendor in recent years.  Do you, either by your own photosor those of Scott the Younger have photos of the restored church?  I gatherfrom your past comments the parish is high church liturgically.

I also confirmed that my first glimpse of the gothic triptych toldme this was a Veit Stoss copy.  That is in a chapel of the main church.The ironic feature of this is that the original church in Krakow with themedieval triptych is Saint Mary's Basilica, the church of the GERMANcommunity.  I doubt, however, whether Saint Mary's in Krakow has manyGerman members in this day and age, given the uproar through thereof WW-2.

The Stoss copy desierves it's own church.  Too bad it's stuffed in a chapel.It's also pure gothic and doesn't match the main Saint John Cantius Church.

Besides Veit Stoff, Adam Kraft was another outstanding woodcarver(mostly wood, anyway) in Nuremburg.

David Strang.

Veit Stoss was a Nuremburger (Germany)  whose major works are iinthat city, primarily at Lorenzkirke.  He did take