[Magdalen] Come be our bishop!

James Handsfield jhandsfield at att.net
Wed Dec 11 13:10:14 UTC 2019

The reason Atlanta asked for consents to be withdrawn was his lack of openness about his relationship with his former wife, but more so because he did not disclose his bankruptcy.  The bankruptcy itself probably would not have been an impediment - he had gone deeply into debt paying his mother’s medical bills with credit cards that he couldn’t repay.

Those of us in Atlanta had the impression that he somehow felt entitled to be a bishop, and his arrogance caught up with him.  People asked where the Holy Spirit was in the process - I suggested we just saw Her at work.

After the fiasco, Fr. Trache moved to California and went to work with Richard Nelson Bolles (What Color is Your Parachute?) for several years.  I think he’s now back working as a parish priest.

Jim Handsfield