[Magdalen] Feminization.

cantor03 at aol.com cantor03 at aol.com
Thu Dec 19 17:13:43 UTC 2019

The annual Christmas Card from the Dermatology Department at UM-Minneapolisarrived this week. The increase in the size of classes and of numbers of full timefaculty in Dermatology are obvious.

Back in the day (early 1960's) there were a half dozen full time staff, and just 12dermatology resident physicians.  The photo included in the card shows a totalof 38 resident physicians and full time staff.

The other obvious change is the dominance of female residents and staff.I counted just 14 male residents and staff, leaving 24 females.  Again, backin the day there was only one female out of the 12 resident physicians andone female full time staff member.  I wasn't very sensitive to noticing suchthings, but even then I thought these two ladies were not well treated bythe dominant male environment.

Taking this one step further back, out of a hundred in my medical school class(UW-Madison) there were 5 females.  Now out of a class of 200, there are130 females.  UM-Minneapolis Medical School has gone to a class size of400, and the substantial majority are female.

This is all fine with me.  I have no agenda other than considering this all asan interesting phenomenon.

David Strang.