[Magdalen] Ginga

Ginga Wilder gingawilder at gmail.com
Wed Dec 25 14:10:59 UTC 2019

*Judy, here it is.  ❤ Ginga*

*Shrimp and Grits*
from *Hoppin' John's Lowcountry Cooking
<http://www.hoppinjohns.com/cgi-bin/screenbld.asp?Request=JohnsBooks&CN=20041119121136065087141133>*

Serves 2

1 cup (½ pound) peeled shrimp

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

salt and cayenne pepper to taste

3 tablespoons bacon grease

1 small onion, finely chopped (about ¼ cup)

about ¼ cup finely chopped green bell pepper

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

Creamy Grits
<http://www.hoppinjohns.com/cgi-bin/screenbld.asp?Request=creamygrits&CN=20041119121136065087141133>

¾ to 1 cup hot water or stock (shrimp, chicken, or vegetable)

In a bowl, sprinkle the shrimp with the lemon juice, salt, and cayenne and
set aside. Heat the bacon grease in a skillet and sauté the onion and
pepper over medium heat until the onion begins to become transparent, about
10 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir constantly for
about 2 minutes, until the flour begins to brown. Add the shrimp and about
3/4 cup water or stock, stirring constantly and turning the shrimp so that
they cook evenly. Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, until the shrimp are
cooked through and the gravy is uniformly smooth, thinning with a little
extra water or stock if necessary. Serve immediately over grits.

*Creamy Grits*

2 tablespoons salted butter or 2 tablespoons unsalted plus ¼ teaspoon salt

2 cups water

½ cup whole-grain grits

1 to 2 cups milk, cream, half-and-half, water, or stock

Drop the butter into the water in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and bring to a
boil. Stir in the grits, return to a boil, and reduce the heat, allowing
the grits to cook at a low boil for 10 minutes or so, until the grits are
very thick and have absorbed most of the water, stirring occasionally to
prevent the grits from sticking.

Add about ½ cup of the milk or cream to the pot and turn down the heat,
allowing the grits to simmer for another 10 minutes or so. As the liquid
evaporates or is absorbed, add more cream or milk, cooking the grits until
the desired consistency is reached, a total cooking time of at least an
hour. The grits should be piping hot when served, slightly soupy but
full-bodied enough that they do not run on the plate.

Serves 2 to 4.