[Magdalen] Chasing dead people--new phase

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 21:44:08 UTC 2019

A lot of you are aware that I'm somewhat of a genealogy hound. I've enjoyed
fleshing out my family tree--the maternal side came to me very well
documented, thanks to my grandfather, my Uncle John, and my cousin Nancy
(Uncle John's daughter), all of whom were/are relentless sleuths and
historians. My father's side was less so, but still decently put together
on his dad's side and quite well done on his mom's. I worked on my late
ex's and had a decent start on it, but have handed that off to my daughter.
In recent years, I've been dealing with my S/O's which has been quite
interesting, as parts of it parallel mine in that we had ancestors in the
same part of Virginia at about the same time, but they don't appear to have
crossed paths.

Recently I have become a volunteer photographer for Find A Grave, and I've
gotten a surprising number of requests for this immediate area (who knew?).
Today I decided to go out and try to fulfill a couple of them.

The first one led me  up a bunch of back roads to Mt. Clifton Cemetery, on
a *very* windswept hill. I tramped all over that little graveyard without
finding the guy I was looking for. There were a whole bunch of other people
by the same last name but not this one. There wasn't even a metal marker to
indicate that he might be there and waiting for a headstone. Man, it was
cold up there! Then I drove down to Timberville to hunt for another one. I
didn't find her either, mostly because that's a bigger cemetery with a lot
of old, lichen-covered headstones, and I was getting very cold, but I have
an idea where she may  be. I'll go look for her on a warmer day. The other
two will wait for that also. One, at least I know where the cemetery is,
and the other is going to be a wild goose chase. But this is fun!