[Magdalen] A message from Provisional Bishop of SC

Ginga Wilder gingawilder at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 21:01:36 UTC 2019

Grace, thank you so much, and Cady, too.  I have not posted much on
Magdalen about the continuing non-resolution in TECSC.  Magdalen has moved
ot other interests in recent years.

>From my pew, I believe the bishop is showing excellent pastoral
leadership.  He is calling the flocks in his care to be as Christ whatever
the outcome.  This will be hard for those who still hold anger and
resentment against the Lawrence church.  I do not ... I let that go early
on following the split....as a matter of fact, this time since the 2012
schism has been the best years of my faith journey.  Prior to the break,
many of us spent our adult years learning 'about' being the Body of Christ
and learning 'about' following Christ...we learned that lesson well right
here in SC.  We had good teachers who knew how to instruct us in our
mission to love our neighbor as ourselves.  Not all clergy and informed lay
leaders were radical evangelicals and some were just plain liberal.  Yay!
Some of us even learned enough to teach and to lead our congregations,
especially after the Church in SC came apart.

Here are some things:
1. The US Supreme Court did not choose to hear the Lawrence Church's appeal
of the SC Supreme Court's decision on behalf of TEC and TECSC.  (Would have
been so lovely if Lawrence had not appealed, BUT he did.)  The Lawrence
attorney team seems intent on appealing, obfuscating, moaning and crying
foul until the cows come home.  We have no idea when the property cases
will be resolved.  The SC Circuit Court has named a judge to implement the
transfer of property back to TEC, but he is, at the very least,
ineffective.  Nothing has moved in that direction.  Our parish will assume
the property we left when all is said and done...but it is huge, too big
for us.  It will be a huge burden to maintain it.  Our membership would
prefer not to have to do that.  We would also prefer to keep our Good
Shepherd name, but that will probably not work.

2. The Federal case involving who is the actual bishop of The Episcopal
Diocese of South Carolina was to be heard next week but has been postponed
until May.  This case is a Lanham Act case.  "The Lanham (Trademark) Act
(Pub.L. 79–489, 60 Stat. 427, enacted July 5, 1946, codified at 15 U.S.C. §
1051 et seq. (15 U.S.C. ch. 22)) is the primary federal trademark statute
of law in the United States. The Act prohibits a number of activities,
including trademark infringement, trademark dilution, and false
advertising."  TEC and TECSC should win this case easily, IFF it ever is
heard in a court of law.

3.  In the meantime, The Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd has
flourished.  We began in October 2012 with 11 units, several of which were
single people.  Today we have 63 family units and 58 pledging units.  We do
not argue, and yet, we are free to express our opinions about anything.  We
have strong lay leadership.  Father Dow Sanderson, our Priest-in-Charge is
excellent.  He can preach!  He came here from 17 years as rector of the
"High Church in the Low Country," and he has come to a middle place.  Good
Shepherd and he have blended very well.  He is a loving pastor.  Good
Shepherd's outreach ministry flourishes with many endeavors.  ETC.  Good
Shepherd is good.  We know change is in the wind for us and I believe we
will be able to live into that, maybe not easily but with good intention.

I rotated off mission council again this year.  What joy it has been to
serve 5 of our 6 years.  I do the Facebook page and keep the webpage up
now.  John and I will go with daughter Ginny's church (St. Anne's Episcopal
Church, Winston-Salem, NC) to the Holy Land in March 2019.  In the
meantime, to get ready for the walking, I am having a hip replacement on
April 5, this year.  Getting the house organized for that at this time.  I
need the other one done, too, but we shall see.

Love all of you and miss y'all a lot.
Ginga

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>