[Magdalen] Car quirks / was Re: Is the Pub closed?

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 19:26:35 UTC 2019

I have discovered that some newer car innovations are not all they're
cracked up to be.

Last June my car was totaled and I was fortunate to find, almost
immediately, a used Honda HR-V for sale, formerly driven by a little old
lady (probably my age) who had passed away. It is more car than I would have
ever bought with many bells/whistles and new tech but the price was so right
I knew it was a good decision.  It is one of those that uses a push button
to turn on the car, based on the driver having the 'fob device' that
interacts with the car's electronics to enable that action.

There have been some very unique occurrences so far relating to this set-up,
not the least of which is the new challenges, in the greater metro Houston
area  (being less than a day's drive from the Mexican border, where most
stolen cars head immediately - usually in the dead of night). There are
devices that can triangulate with your fob, even if it is inside your house,
allowing a criminal to open and drive the car --- this can also happen in a
parking lot. I do have a special Faraday key-keeper that protects the fob
from receiving false activation, but that kind of undermines the handiness
of having the fob in pocket or purse and just opening the car without having
to fumble with keys, because if the fob is in the key-keeper the car does
not respond until the fob is freed from its bondage....  Also recently
discovered that the fob battery is low (thank goodness a message appeared on
the dash!) because if the fob does not work you can still use a key hidden
in the fob, to enter the car, but the key can not start the car. Note to
self... *always* have batteries at the ready : )   So I love the car but
there's a bit too much of "The Jetsons" about it that I'm still getting used
to.

Lynn