[Magdalen] Car quirks / was Re: Is the Pub closed?

cady soukup cadyasoukup at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 21:17:30 UTC 2019

Rant:

Almost every new "large" consumer item has Yet Another User Interface
(YAUI) to learn. Even as a tech it is getting old. I try to remind
myself that even pets and old-fashioned animal transport (horses &
buggies) had user interfaces (care & feeding, training &
personalities) to learn. So far it hasn't helped much.

So we have a 25-year-old combination microwave & convention oven, a
30-year-old stove-oven, a 30-year-old refrigerator, a fairly simple
vehicle, none of which have IP addresses or complicated user
interfaces. I do not watch TV, so I have not learned which of the 4
controllers is needed to get it to work (all 4?). I like books,
although I also like my electronic reader (binge reading is my secret
addiction - all 3 books of a trilogy with no need to search in the
many bookcases in several rooms & halls to find them!).

Recently I rode in a Tesla sedan. The monitor screen on it is larger
than the office laptop's screen. The car is lovely - no ideas about
how long it takes to learn to drive it, nor about the maintenance
required to keep it moving - and I did not fit well into the front
seat. Designed for small people. I am not a small person.

End of Rant.

hugs anyway - Cady