[Magdalen] Is the Pub closed?

Ann Markle ann.markle at aya.yale.edu
Thu Jan 17 00:28:27 UTC 2019

Only time I had trouble with a rental (I don’t get out much) was 3 years
ago in France, but even then it wasn’t their fault. Friends pressured me
into getting a bigger vehicle than I'd arranged, then refused to help drive
because it was a standard shift. Crunched it on a driveway gate opening
(things are smaller in Europe!) — only a little crunch, but they charged
double the amount for a repair. I prefer to travel alone. I’ll always be
grateful to Avis, because when my friend reserved for the wrong day this
year in Italy(only discovered the day AFTER she’d arranged pickup), Hertz
couldn’t accommodate us, but Avis came through, with a reasonable rate and
full insurance (this time I crunched the passenger side rearview mirror).

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 5:06 PM Roger Stokes via Magdalen <
magdalen at herberthouse.org> wrote:

> On 16/01/2019 21:43, Lynn Ronkainen wrote:
> >
> > About 3 years ago, renting at the Nashville Airport in February, an
> > SUV was all they had to give me for my economy car that was not there,
> > and they would not even give me gas credit. I have to admit that all
> > worked out for the best as I had the car for 5 days and the worst ice
> > storm and snow storm in many years hit in TN while I had the SUV and I
> > felt much safer driving a larger, heavier vehicle.  The biggest hassle
> > was cleaning the frozen ice off the car when I moved it from my first
> > location at Sewanee to travel to several parts of the state - it took
> > me at least an hour to make the car drivable. On my way back to
> > Nashville several days later, there was still heavy ice on the road
> > cuts where the cold, and several days of total cloud cover, had
> > prevented any thawing. It had been a long time since I had to deal
> > with icy or snowy roads, I guess I still had deeply buried skills to
> > do so : )
>

> That reminds me of my last trip to the States just before DJT was sworn
> in. I had thought that visiting some of the Southern states would
> guarantee reasonable weather even round the turn of the year. Heading
> South from Birmingham I managed to stay ahead of the snow but when I
> stopped for the night I foolishly parked with the car pointing North. I
> couldn't chip the ice off the windshield but managed to gently turn the
> car round so the early morning sun eased my problem. I had seen plenty
> of the signs warning that the bridge ices before the road but this was
> the first time I encountered it - follow the tracks to get across until
> I got to the point where the ice was an inch thick across the road and
> the traffic was at a stop because of a crash on (IIRC) I-35. It had
> tailed back to before I needed to turn off to head down into LA and the
> better weather as soon as I crossed the state line.
>
> As for equipment not supplied I can't recall the year but I had flown
> into Atlanta and the agreement included a GPS. The unit supplied would
> not take a charge from the car but fortunately I had brought my own from
> home, loaded with a North America map, so was able to use that
> throughout my trip once I had switched over in the grounds of the Carter
> Presidential Library and Park. I was sure glad to see the signs pointing
> to it so I could find somewwhere to park up and sort out the problem.
>
> Roger
>
> --
Ann

The Rev. Ann Markle