[Magdalen] Is the Pub closed?

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Wed Jan 16 22:05:55 UTC 2019

On 16/01/2019 21:43, Lynn Ronkainen wrote:

> About 3 years ago, renting at the Nashville Airport in February, an
> SUV was all they had to give me for my economy car that was not there,
> and they would not even give me gas credit. I have to admit that all
> worked out for the best as I had the car for 5 days and the worst ice
> storm and snow storm in many years hit in TN while I had the SUV and I
> felt much safer driving a larger, heavier vehicle.  The biggest hassle
> was cleaning the frozen ice off the car when I moved it from my first
> location at Sewanee to travel to several parts of the state - it took
> me at least an hour to make the car drivable. On my way back to
> Nashville several days later, there was still heavy ice on the road
> cuts where the cold, and several days of total cloud cover, had
> prevented any thawing. It had been a long time since I had to deal
> with icy or snowy roads, I guess I still had deeply buried skills to
> do so : )

That reminds me of my last trip to the States just before DJT was sworn
in. I had thought that visiting some of the Southern states would
guarantee reasonable weather even round the turn of the year. Heading
South from Birmingham I managed to stay ahead of the snow but when I
stopped for the night I foolishly parked with the car pointing North. I
couldn't chip the ice off the windshield but managed to gently turn the
car round so the early morning sun eased my problem. I had seen plenty
of the signs warning that the bridge ices before the road but this was
the first time I encountered it - follow the tracks to get across until
I got to the point where the ice was an inch thick across the road and
the traffic was at a stop because of a crash on (IIRC) I-35. It had
tailed back to before I needed to turn off to head down into LA and the
better weather as soon as I crossed the state line.

As for equipment not supplied I can't recall the year but I had flown
into Atlanta and the agreement included a GPS. The unit supplied would
not take a charge from the car but fortunately I had brought my own from
home, loaded with a North America map, so was able to use that
throughout my trip once I had switched over in the grounds of the Carter
Presidential Library and Park. I was sure glad to see the signs pointing
to it so I could find somewwhere to park up and sort out the problem.

Roger