[Magdalen] Quo Vadis.

cantor03 at aol.com cantor03 at aol.com
Fri Jan 18 16:18:18 UTC 2019

I watched a movie last night, "Quo Vadis" (Domine) dating from1961 (on the Turner Network).  I remember the movie at the timeof its original release, having quite an impact on me.  I didn't
realize until this viewing last night, just how much the filmhas colored my mental picture of the Roman Empire andearly Christianity.  For example, the view from Caesar Neros'balcony over the Forum Romanum is what I think of whenthinking about Rome.  Ditto the early Christian worship in thecatacombs, and the burning of Rome by Nero, the latterplayed beautifully by Peter Ustinov.  Debra Kerr and RobertTaylor also starred in this epic which was NOT directed byCecil B. DeMille.
Perhaps the most memorable scenes are of Christianmartyrdom in the Colosseum, and Saint Peter's vision on theAppian Way when he asks "Quo Vadis" (Whither goest Thou")and then returns to Rome to be crucified upside down
They don't make 'em like that any more.

David Strang.