[Magdalen] Anyone Here?

Michael Bishop rev at michaelbishop.name
Fri Jul 5 19:27:33 UTC 2019

I too am still here. I retired from full time ministry in September 2017
and now live in retirement in Keyworth Nottinghamshire in the Diocese of
Southwell & Nottingham. I do take a few services - mostly in a nearby
group of parishes which is at present without a priest.One of the
churches has a major claim to fame - St John of Beverley, Whatton is the
church of the parish in which Thomas Cranmer was born, baptised and
worshipped as a child. His parents are buried in the churchyard. Perhaps
unsurprisingly the congrgation is very proud of this and strictly adhere
to the forms of service BCP of 1662 which is largely as prepared by Cranmer.

Last week I celebrated the 47th anniversary of my being ordained priest
at Southwell Minster the cathedral of this diocese. It is amazing how
time has flown.

Life is mostly very quiet, but one event which I especially enjoy is the
twice a year week of helping to lead "Time Travelling" in Southwell
Minster. This attracts around 500 per day schoolchildren of infant and
junior school age for a week. They spend their time being taken around
the Minster and learning about various aspects of the Christian faith
and of the history and life of the cathedral. For some of the children
it is their first time in a church. For all, it is an amazing experience
of being in the 900 year old church. Both teachers and children clearly
thoroughly the experience. The same goes for the large band of
volunteers (including me) who lead and join in the activities.

I am still trying to get used to the quiet of retirement - and of
course, having moved away from my former parishes. I could only return
to them by specific invitation of their current clergy. I was in my last
post for over 20 years, and it was a big thing for me to retire from there.

God bless

Michael Bishop
rev at michaelbishop.name