[Magdalen] Anyone Here?

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Fri Jul 5 22:11:21 UTC 2019

On 05/07/2019 20:27, Michael Bishop wrote:
> I too am still here. I retired from full time ministry in September
> 2017 and now live in retirement in Keyworth Nottinghamshire in the
> Diocese of Southwell & Nottingham. I do take a few services - mostly
> in a nearby group of parishes which is at present without a priest.One
> of the churches has a major claim to fame - St John of Beverley,
> Whatton is the church of the parish in which Thomas Cranmer was born,
> baptised and worshipped as a child. His parents are buried in the
> churchyard. Perhaps unsurprisingly the congrgation is very proud of
> this and strictly adhere to the forms of service BCP of 1662 which is
> largely as prepared by Cranmer.
Does that include praying "for all bishops and curates" at the Eucharist
as well as the indifferent ministration of justice?

> Last week I celebrated the 47th anniversary of my being ordained
> priest at Southwell Minster the cathedral of this diocese. It is
> amazing how time has flown.
>
> Life is mostly very quiet, but one event which I especially enjoy is
> the twice a year week of helping to lead "Time Travelling" in
> Southwell Minster. This attracts around 500 per day schoolchildren of
> infant and junior school age for a week. They spend their time being
> taken around the Minster and learning about various aspects of the
> Christian faith and of the history and life of the cathedral. For some
> of the children it is their first time in a church. For all, it is an
> amazing experience of being in the 900 year old church. Both teachers
> and children clearly thoroughly the experience. The same goes for the
> large band of volunteers (including me) who lead and join in the
> activities.
>
> I am still trying to get used to the quiet of retirement - and of
> course, having moved away from my former parishes. I could only return
> to them by specific invitation of their current clergy. I was in my
> last post for over 20 years, and it was a big thing for me to retire
> from there.

Having retired in the same town and the next-door parish to my last post
I sometimes see former parishioners when I am out and about. I am very
particular about not saying anything that could be interpreted as
remotely critical of my successor and had to be persuaded over my
reluctance to accede to the request that I conduct the funeral of a
congregation member during the vacancy before my successor arrived. I
have known clergy who did not observe that courtesy of "leave means
leave" and am determined not to fall into that trap.

Roger