[Magdalen] Where Were You?

Simon Kershaw simon at kershaw.org.uk
Fri Jul 19 15:05:17 UTC 2019

I was 10 years old and followed the events with all the intense interest
of a 10-year old.

Here in the UK touchdown on the lunar surface was at about 9pm, which
was at or after my bedtime. I remember that Sunday evening sitting
around the tv, listening to the communication between the LEM and
Mission Control. I clearly recall that there were no pictures, just
audio -- a recollection confirmed on tv last night (watching "Chasing
the Moon"). The pictures of the descent to the surface were on cine
film, and not available until some time after the return to earth.

So my sister and I were allowed to stay up for this. But we weren't
allowed to get up at 4am on a schoolday to see Armstrong climb down the
ladder to walk on the surface. Again, my recollection is that my mother
got us up at about 6am (a good hour earlier than on a normal schoolday)
and I watched a complete repeat of the earlier broadcast. Very blurry
pictures, which some time later were significantly enhanced. This would
have been on a b&w 405-line VHF tv, which was what we had at the time.
An enormous pieces of furniture, about the size of a modern washing
machine, but cased in rather beautiful mahogany!

And then off to school.

Memories from that age are a strange thing. I can clearly remember
Apollo 8 (Dec 1968), and by the time of Apollo 10 just a few months
later (May 1969, I think) I was an expert on Saturn V and Apollo and
everything to do with them, and most of which knowledge I have retained
to this day. But I have zero recollection of either Apollo 7 or of
Apollo 9, though I must surely have watched at least Apollo 9. I suppose
that the fact that they stayed in Earth orbit meant they made less
impact on me.

simon

--
Simon Kershaw