[Magdalen] Anyone Here?

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Fri Jul 26 23:34:23 UTC 2019

On 26/07/2019 19:52, cantor03--- via Magdalen wrote:
> Raywynne can confirm.
> Southark Cathedral:
> Just off the top of my head -The medieval monastery of Saint Mary BovaryNave built as a copy of the medieval choir in 19th century
> Large sculptural high altar reredos is 19th century
> Has had a reputation for good, solid music program
> I recall being there for a diocesan hymn sing.  The nave waspacked with singers.  It was great fun.
> I  recall something about potential trouble with a new transportation hub nearby.

That would be the development of London Bridge Station across the road
from the cathedral which I think has now been completed. The rerouting
of railway lines involved significant changes to buildings in the area
(including taking out the upper floors to provide a new line through the
building) but AFAIK this did not impact on the cathedral apart from
possible temporary traffic alterations in connection with the work. It's
one of the later cathedrals which is a former parish church and well
worth a visit in its own right as a peaceful oasis in the heart of the
metropolis.

Alumni of Harvard in particular may car to visit the Harvard Chapel
named in honour of John Harvard who was baptised in this church in 1607.
He left half his estate and his library of books to what is now known as
Harvard University. (Some weekday Eucharists are celebrated there and
its where I met Lynn Ronkainen for the first time.) Adjacent to the
cathedral is the Borough Market which is also worth a visit.

Roger