[Magdalen] [Magdale

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Sat Jun 1 02:34:36 UTC 2019

Our family had a run of diseases when we arrived in Japan. I was 9, and my sister was 2.
A little girl on the ship came down with chicken pox a day or two before we landed in Japan. Two weeks later I came down with them, and my sister two weeks after that. Then, almost immediately, I got measles.
We lived at a hotel that was being run by the Army for R&R for troops  stationed in Korea.
It was on a mountain in Nikko, a ski resort, and the only way you could get down the mountain in winter was by cable car. The nearest Army base was 4 hours away. I was very sick, and they didn’t know what was wrong—no rash yet—so we all took the cable car down and got an Army staff car to take us to the hospital. My mother said that on the way down in the cable car, which was full of school kids, she was horrified to see me breaking out with a rash, and she realized what it was.

The diagnosis was measles, and they gave my sister gamma globulin to try to prevent her from getting it.  It worked, and I don’t think she ever got them.