[Magdalen] Pancake/Waffle Time.

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 16:21:56 UTC 2019

Yes, Polish. The papers here always make sure to cover the supposed giant
demand for paczkis, how to say the word (there several ways; the a has a
hook under it that makes it nasal, I think, so it's something like
poonch-key). More Poles in Chicago than any other city outside Poland (I
think that's still true), so there may indeed be queues outside bakeries in
Avondale and other Polish neighborhoods. I still think some supermarkets
(not in Polish neighborhoods) just pass off their usual jelly doughnuts or
Berliners as paczki(s). I think the real things tend to be more spherical
and not flat on two sides.

Our local market might have a Bosnian or Croatian take on paczki, or indeed
some other traditional fatty food for today.