[Magdalen] Pancake/Waffle Time.

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 16:43:40 UTC 2019

"We know the darndest things" here in the pub!!

Raising my coffee mug in a toast to Scott for this research!

Lynn

On Mar 5, 2019, at 10:21 AM, Scott Knitter <scottknitter at gmail.com> wrote:

Yes, Polish. The papers here always make sure to cover the supposed giant
demand for paczkis, how to say the word (there several ways; the a has a
hook under it that makes it nasal, I think, so it's something like
poonch-key). More Poles in Chicago than any other city outside Poland (I
think that's still true), so there may indeed be queues outside bakeries in
Avondale and other Polish neighborhoods. I still think some supermarkets
(not in Polish neighborhoods) just pass off their usual jelly doughnuts or
Berliners as paczki(s). I think the real things tend to be more spherical
and not flat on two sides.

Our local market might have a Bosnian or Croatian take on paczki, or indeed
some other traditional fatty food for today.