[Magdalen] a cautionary tale

ME Michaud michaudme at gmail.com
Wed May 8 12:21:55 UTC 2019

One of our neighbors was recently hit by a bicyclist.
Nancy's a very active eighty-year old (she teaches yoga and power-walks).

For those familiar with Boston, the corner of Exeter and Newbury is a block
from the public library, two blocks from Trinity Copley Square. Newbury is
sometimes closed to vehicular traffic because of the number of pedestrians
visiting its small shops, galleries & restaurants.

Nancy said she saw him swerve, trying to avoid her as she crossed, and
suddenly she was on the ground. He said,
"I'm sorry, lady. I'm really, really sorry,"
quickly untangled his bicycle from her various limbs, jumped on it and
pedaled off,
leaving her lying in the street with a fractured wrist and shattered hip.

She's returned from rehab and is relying on help from neighbors and
deliveries from Whole Foods.
"Your life can change in a minute," she says.
She's doing great, practicing walking with friends and channeling her anger
into her efforts at complete healing.

She is the third friend who's been hit by a bicyclist who then fled.
What are we teaching our boys?
-M