[Magdalen] pray for me today

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Wed May 22 15:29:45 UTC 2019

That's great news, Judy!

I know how hard it can be to lead a group study when there are a few (or
even just one) very vocal attendees. Delicate balance between their right
to participate and the same right of others who are less assertive or need
a moment to think before talking.

For some time we had a parishioner who would show up to every class and
discussion to take it over and dominate it, often using such forums to work
out his longtime feeling of rejection from a monastery he was a member of
long ago. So he would attach other encounters to that to prove that
everyone gives him a raw deal. Such pain! But not on topic always, and he
was very long-winded. People stopped going to any classes because he'd
likely derail them. He did get called out for it by an angry fellow
participant in a Bible study, so he heard some frank feedback about it.

Then there are others who haven't got a personal issue like that but who
can't seem to contribute to a discussion without embarking on the telling
of a long story with many asides and tangents. "Reminds me of a story..."
Uh-oh...here we go again...

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA