[Magdalen] Opinion sought

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Mon May 27 21:24:20 UTC 2019

I’m curious about what folks think about a listing I saw recently for a church position. These were the things they were looking for in a priest. It’s a part-time position in a small rural church.

Sermons should be informal, should not be read from notes and should not be preached from the pulpit, but from the floor.
Sermons should usually follow the readings.
Sermons should not be political, nor should the congregation be lectured to.
Sermons should be relevant to people’s lives and should preach the Gospel.

Priest is not expected to visit, but should get to know parishioners and participate in community events the church is involved in. These include yard sales, fish fries, other charitable fund-raisers.

There is one one-hour service on Sundays, no Christian education or formation.

What think you?