[Magdalen] A WTF moment indeed

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Mon May 27 22:20:05 UTC 2019

On 27/05/2019 22:59, Joseph Cirou wrote:
> I was trying to respond to Judy's original post, but it disappeared into cyber space.  I have a similar condition I am allergic to tree nuts My single trip by ambulance was  the result of eating   cashews in a chicken salad many years ago.
> I had thought my Benadryl would l;et me tough it out. But no. I overheard the nurses say that |another hour he would have been dead|  I was in emergency for several hours. No  similar trips, but I still use my benadryl  but no  similar experiences

Joe,

First off I am glad there have been no recurrences since that
experience. Allergies can cause all sorts of problems and last week I
was there when there was a discussion as to whether coconut is, or is
not, an allergen. Here in Europe there are certain recognized allergens
that need to be recognized on food labelling. Earlier this year there
was a sad case of a young lady who died on a plane journey because the
sandwich she had brought onboard included sesame seed which had not been
specified at the point of sale. In another case a schoolboy died from
the effect of a piece of cheese being flicked at him or there's another
girl who aren't enter a coffee shop because of the particles of milk in
the air there. Those are extreme cases but they exist.

However there are other substances which can cause an adverse, but not
fatal, reaction in some people. I have a friend who is allergic to
blackcurrant for example. The effect on him is unpleasant but not
life-threatening.

Roger