[Magdalen] Le Jour de L'Armistice.

Allan Carr allanc5 at me.com
Mon Nov 11 08:41:14 UTC 2019

65 years and five months ago I was separated from the US Army. I went to New York City vaguely thinking about finding a job. One day I was riding on the subway looking at want ads and saw a Remington Rand Univac ad looking for field service technicians, The address was a few stops down the line I was on, so I got off and applied using my army experience as a radar tech (with an instructor’s MOS) as qualification and got the job, after some training. My two caveats were that I would be sent to a city with a decent University and only work shifts other than the day shift.

So I was sent to US Steel as one of four techs with a supervisor maintaining a Univac 1 vacuum tube computer, which took thousands of feet of floor space. A year later,  I also started as a day student at Carnegie Tech (later Carnegie Mellon) for a BSEE.

So, serendipitously, I started maintaining and repairing a large computer. A few years later with my degree,  I took a job in R&D at another computer company, but eventually drifted into R&D on magnetic recording computer peripherals where I stayed for 44 years until 2001.

In 2019, not surprisingly, my iMac personal computer has a solid state memory.

Allan Carr