[Magdalen] TEC talk

Simon Kershaw simon at kershaw.org.uk
Mon Oct 21 10:03:39 UTC 2019

Actually it was the fourth entity, after the Church of England, the
Church of Ireland and the Scottish Episcopal Church.

And the term "Anglican" had not been adopted for the purpose of
labelling churches in communion with Canterbury: if it was used at all
it was as an adjective for the Church of England, Ecclesia Anglicana.

The distinguishing feature of the the protestant churches in Scotland
and the US was their episcopalian form of government, hence the
Protestant Episcopal Church in the United States of America. No one
balked at being described as "protestant" until after the Oxford
Movement took hold.

I'd have thought that something like the "Episcopal Church in America"
(or "in the Americas") would have been a better name, one that did not
seem to imply global rights. (The Convocation of European churches
clearly being extra-territorial.)

simon

--
Simon Kershaw